Monday, May 11, 2020

Viewing Healthcare Through a Different Lens.


Zaid Almarzooq MBBCh
Fellow in Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Woman’s Hospital
PGY-5

01/26/2020

Brigham Cardiology Fellows Zaid Almarzooq
(right) and Ankheet Bhatt (left) celebrate the end of
what has been a very enlightening course
I am a current second year cardiovascular medicine fellow. In prior roles, I looked at healthcare processes using more traditional methods. These methods, at times, seemed lacking in the rigor we have come accustomed to in our other duties as healthcare providers. I, therefore, sought to attend this course to get a better understanding of how we determine value in our current system and learn about more novel methods.

This course was exceptional in many ways. First, the course introduced me to many new and important concepts that have changed my way of looking at a healthcare system. For example, moving forward I will certainly consider using the time-driven activity-based costing method when measuring cost. Second, the course had a great set of speakers that were all very engaging and inspiring. There was a great variety in the expertise on stage. Hearing from thought leaders who were passionate and engaging was very inspirational. Fourth, the case-based method used in this course was applied masterfully with great engagement from the audience. This lead to a very enlightening discussion that allowed me to appreciate aspects of the cases and concepts I had been blind to when preparing the cases before the session. Finally, the cases selected broadened my exposure to new healthcare systems and experiences with invaluable lessons learned along the way.

Overall, I left this course enlightened and empowered to look at health through a different lens. I would recommend this course to all healthcare providers, regardless of your area of interest in healthcare, as the issues addressed are so fundamental to what we all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment