Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Learning to cultivate growth mindset and promote feedback culture


Jena Depetris, MD
Radiology Resident and Cardiovascular Imaging Minifellow at MGH
PGY-5

02/17/2020

Teaching about the aortic valve sinuses
of Valsalva and their appearance on Caridac
CT
The Partners Centers of Expertise Clinical Teaching Skills (CTS) course was a fantastic opportunity to dedicate time toward both understanding the science of adult learning as well as improving my own skills as a medical educator.

 For as long as I can remember, I have gravitated toward activities related to education. Whether it was undergraduate peer-to-peer tutoring, volunteering in an educational capacity, or simply being inspired by the incredible educators with whom I have been so lucky to become acquainted, I always felt most fulfilled and personally motivated when I had my hands in education. It wasn’t until recently, however, that a career specifically focused on medical education became something I concretely aspired to build. Having attended several of the Centers of Expertise in Medical Education dinner sessions in the past, the Clinical Teaching Skills (CTS) course seemed like a unique and valuable opportunity to build my skills as an educator and to meet other like-minded residents and fellows within the Partners system.


First and foremost, the CTS course was incredibly effective at helping me to identify areas for improvement in the way I approach teaching. We had the opportunity to practice a brief teaching scenario in front of our peers and practice receiving feedback on our teaching style, clarity, and effectiveness. This exercise allowed me to understand my personality as an educator in a new light and opened my mind to the power of feedback. The course has directly impacted the way I will approach giving, seeking, and receiving feedback in my future as a medical educator.

Enjoyed working with and learning from several other
Radiology trainees at the CTS Course. 
Furthermore, the CTS course has changed the way I think about my responsibilities as a clinical educator. It seems to me that many in medicine fall into “teaching roles” accidentally, or even haphazardly, because of the way our medical education system is built. The course has given me invaluable tools that I can apply toward the goal of becoming an effective and intentional clinician educator, including tips for how to build credibility with learners and how to effectively deliver feedback.

As a PGY-5 radiology resident, I am already applying what I learned in the course to my everyday clinical work in the reading room. I am working on building a growth mindset as an educator and learning to cultivate the same among my peers and colleagues. I hope to take what I learned from the course and find concrete ways to apply it during the rest of my training and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment