Thursday, May 14, 2020

Understanding the Value Equation



Jason Maley, MD
Fellow, Pulmonary and Critical Care, MGH and Beth Israel Deaconess
PGY-6

02/02/2020

The Value Based He
Harvard Business School Campus
althcare Delivery course transformed my outlook on future career opportunities. From the beginning, I was struck by the concept that our discussions of value would not be an academic endeavor – rather the course was intended to build a practical skillset for improving healthcare. The case-based approach of the course allowed me to envision how these concepts might apply to my own work. Our discussions also allowed me to consider how my interests in value can be shaped into a career.

This course should be required learning for all medicine trainees. As reimbursement models shift, and healthcare increasingly focuses on value, it will be necessary for future healthcare leaders to understand the concepts discussed in this course. In particular, trainees could benefit from the ideas of integrating care around the needs of a patient, measuring meaningful outcomes at the individual patient level, and truly understanding costs.

I can imagine both immediate opportunities to apply the learning from this course, as well as ways in which I can use this course in future roles. Currently, I am a research fellow studying healthcare delivery in the setting of critical illness and serious chronic illness. I would like to focus my work on ways to improve value, so this course provided an exceptional perspective on areas where I can focus my current research. In the future, I would like to find leadership opportunities where I can help health systems achieve true value-based healthcare, as we learned about in this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment