Tuesday, May 19, 2020

If only you knew the power of the Dark Side... Developing Skills for Radiology Education


Simone Montoya, MD
Fellow in Neuroradiology at MGH
PGY-6

02/17/2020

Radiology Trainees bonding over a shared passion for
education!
Despite the ubiquity of Radiology, no one really knows what we do. We even refer to other providers as “clinicians” as if we are not clinicians ourselves. Radiology still is not a required component of the curricula of many medical schools, which (in my opinion) results in a misunderstanding of the role of a radiologist in a patient’s overall care. Those who do take a Radiology clerkship often find themselves sitting in the dark behind someone who stares at thousands of images and talks about them in a weird halted and excessively punctuated way. If we want to change how our specialty is perceived, we must be able to effectively teach so that others can appreciate what we do.

Since my face-to-face interactions are limited, I’m used to not knowing anyone at COE events, so I was more than pleasantly surprised to see other radiologists in attendance. I was even happier to have another radiologist in my micro-teaching group, as well as Keith Baker, one of the course leaders, so that we could demonstrate challenges that are unique to Radiology education. I chose to give a radiology lesson without any imaging, while the other radiologist gave a very typical radiology didactic. I think that the others in our group were surprised about how inherently difficult it is to teach Radiology and how different it is conceptually from other areas in medicine – how do you teach how to see something, know what it is, and recreate that finding in words? – and I found it extremely valuable to have input from those outside Radiology.

The micro-teaching session allowed us to apply the day’s lessons to a real teaching scenario – the ultimate “see one, do one, teach one.” I gained a lot of insight from the course, but moreover I have a better idea of how I can implement what I’ve learned specifically to Radiology education.

No comments:

Post a Comment