Tuesday, May 19, 2020

COE “Critical Teaching Skills”


Ogorchukwu Faith Omede, MD
Internal Medicine Resident at NSMC
PGY – 2

02/17/2020

5 Minute Teaching Series
The course empowered me to take the front sit in teaching residents and medical students. Being my first ever teaching course, it has prepared me to be more intentional about teaching on the wards. I realized it is not in the volume of material but more about more about preparedness, methods of delivery and understanding the learners. The course also gave me the required skills in giving feedback, which I came to realize is an essential part of clinical teaching.

It made see how rewarding teaching can be to both the teacher and learner. I plan to be involved with teaching residents and medical students in global health and addiction medicine.

It is paramount residents are exposed to experiences like this in training because it forms an integral part in the making of a clinician. I believe every clinician at some point must serve in some capacity as a teacher and learner. Understanding how effective learning happens (backed with data which was presented at the conference), how to foster a growth-oriented culture and the art of giving effective feedback is an invaluable tool every clinician must possess.

Immediately after the COE CTS course, I had to present a journal in program. In preparing my slides, I was careful to list the objectives of my talk, ask questions at the beginning and at the end to encourage recall, and in cooperate clinical scenarios in my bid to tell a story.

I will be working on the wards and in the unit with interns, I hope to before-hand prepare for my teaching sessions and in some cases employ the flipped classroom model so as to promote teaching on the go (which will be greatly needed on the busy wards).

Prior to the course, I had not understood the growth-mindset, I plan to foster the culture in my team, by treating questions/learners with curiosity and respect, avoiding peer comparisons and encouraging linear growth measurement.

As a future attending, I plan to be more intentional as a teacher not only with the above listed but also encourage a feedback culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment