Friday, May 8, 2020

Remembering long term career aspirations



Stephen Ellwood, MD
Resident in Anesthesiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital
PGY-2

12/20/2019 

Stephen Ellwood, MD and Yuanting Zha, MD at the Global
Health Symposium. 
As a hard-working anesthesiology resident, it is not hard to sometimes lose sight of your long-term career aspirations.  For myself, I found it refreshing to be able to attend the Partner’s GME Global Health Symposium as it provoked me to once again to think about my future goals on how I might impact the global health community. Global health is a vast and challenging field that can be extremely difficult to navigate. However, I am fortunate enough to be completing my residency training underneath the network of Partner’s Healthcare where I have access to many leading experts in this field. I now realize how important it is to seek mentorship, and I know that I am in need of much guidance as a young physician still in training.  I feel blessed to have had this opportunity to network with both the leading experts in the field of global health and with my fellow passionate GME trainees. The global health experts that spoke today left me with these two powerful thoughts. One, I should always strive to be an active listener and observer, especially when working in a foreign healthcare system in another country that may have very different cultural expectations and political barriers as compared to the U.S. healthcare system.  Two, global health work requires an enormous amount of humility, no matter who you are.  I am fortunate to have had this experience, as it reinvigorated me to once again focus on building a path towards, one day, being a part of capacity building through medical education. I hope to be able to find mentors and colleagues that I can call upon for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment