Monday, May 11, 2020

Seeing the Value in Value-Based Healthcare


Jia Liu, MD
Pediatrics/Anesthesiology Resident at Brigham and Boston Children’s
PGY-5

01/27/2020

Prior to taking this course I had a vague idea of the concept of value-based healthcare and absolutely no clue how it was being applied in real life.  This course took us through a series of cases that showed me how these concepts could be ap 
plied on a spectrum from hospital-wide change to small adjustments within a sub-specialty clinic.

Moving forward in my training, I plan to pursue both pediatric anesthesiology and pediatric critical care fellowships with a special interest in pediatric patients with chronic critical illness and home ventilation.  This course has given me a new perspective on how we can re-shape the way in which we care for these patients.  While these patients are an incredibly small percentage of patients in our community, their costs in the current pay structure are incredibly high given their frequent need for procedures and hospitalizations.

I believe that value-based healthcare could have a tremendous impact on this patient population moving forward and I hope to contribute to this change in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment