Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Clinical Teaching Skills Course


Natasha Merali, MD
Internal Medicine Resident at MGH
PGY-1

02/14/2020 

Giving a "micro-teaching" talk.
I had a wonderful time at the clinical teaching skills COE course! As an intern, it is easy to fall into the trap of just focusing on how to become an efficient learner and “task-doer.” However, in a profession where the majority of our learning comes from our peers, learning how to teach is just as vital as other actively acquired skills during intern year. It was therefore extremely pertinent to hear about evidence-based teaching and adult learning practices that will help me teach medical students and residents in a variety of settings. Discussing learning-oriented versus performance orientation was particularly relevant in a climate where grades, competitiveness, and comparing yourself to others is unfortunately commonplace in medical training. This course has provided me with a framework to help promote a more learning and growth-oriented environment, and in doing so hopefully increase joy in learning and decrease physician burnout.

Additionally, giving a five-minute micro-teaching session within a small group was a uniquely helpful in that it allowed for both receiving and giving directed feedback with peers who share a similar passion for teaching. I will undoubtedly harness what I learned through that process to be more purposeful in cultivating my teaching skills and styles throughout residency and my career. I hope that I have the opportunity to be a part of similar training programs in the future, and continue to learn from other expert clinician educators!

No comments:

Post a Comment