Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Evidence-based and Interactive Learning on the Art of Teaching


Jacqueline Schulman, MD
Resident in Neurology at MGH/BWH
PGY - 4

02/16/2020

Explaining the concept behind the
vestibulo-ocular reflex and the Head Impulse
Test in the 5 minute "micro-teaching" session

I have had a longstanding interest in medical education, but it was not until the last few years of my neurology residency that I realized how much I enjoy teaching. Having never had any formal education in teaching, I saw the COE Clinical Skills Teaching Course as an opportunity to develop my approach to teaching, with the goal of becoming a more effective and engaging educator for medical trainees in the future.

Throughout the day, we participated in various interactive sessions. Volunteer patients were brought in to role-play with us, allowing us to practice our communication skills. Later, we were paired up with our fellow course participants to exercise giving feedback. We culminated the day with “micro-teaching”, an activity that had us teach a topic of our choice in five minutes to a small group. These activities highlighted to me the importance of communication as a foundation of effective teaching. Moreover, I realized that the way I transmit information must be adapted to the recipient and the circumstances we find ourselves in, whether I am carrying out a didactic session in a classroom, supervising a resident in a new procedure, or educating a patient on their new diagnosis.
One of the morning sessions taught us about the evidence behind different methods of learning. I was surprised to find that learning abstract material is more effective and less misleading than learning from concrete examples, yet par
adoxically, our entire medical training is based on learning from individual patient cases we encounter on the wards and in clinic. I hope to apply this information in my role as an educator in the clinical setting to help fill the gaps in trainees’ medical education and facilitate their growth and development.

I walked away from the course with a new perspective on the art of teaching and I am thankful to the COE for giving me this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment