Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A Practical Course for all Levels of Training


Luisa M. Paredes Acosta, MD
BWH Internal medicine
PGY-1

02/09/2020

Dr. Paredes practicing for a Community
Workshop on "Getting the Most out
of your Medical Appointments." 
As an intern, I have the privilege to refuge in my “learner” role for 365 days. However, as this year of immense learning goes by, my expectations are changing and I find myself wanting to explore the love for teaching I once embraced as an “upper level” medical student. While eager to jump into action, one thought was paralyzing: do I even know enough to teach?  

The Clinical Skills Teaching Course was an incredible opportunity to learn practical and effective (evidence-based) teaching skills, and to realize that knowledge, while critical in order to impart accurate information, is not what makes an outstanding teacher. This course made me realize that I do possess many of the qualities of a great teacher and taught me tangible practices in order to use those qualities effectively in a learning environment.  I also learned how to be a better learner, and in this way change my study habits to become more efficient and intentional in fueling my knowledge bank for future teaching opportunities.

Overall, I highly recommend this course to anyone remotely interested in teaching or in becoming a better learner. I had a teaching experience the day after this course, and my approach to it was totally different (and well-received) thanks to this course.  

No comments:

Post a Comment