Monday, May 11, 2020

The VBHD Course was inspiring!


Susannah Rudel, MBA/MPH
Deland Fellow at Brigham & Women’s Hospital
PGY1

01/27/2020

Deland Fellows at the VBHD Course. 
The Value-Based Healthcare Delivery (VBHD) course, offered through the Centers of Expertise, provides a fantastic learning opportunity, and was a truly inspiring experience! As a recent graduate of an MBA/MPH program, I was fortunate to learn some of the concepts of value-based care and alternative payments models as part of my graduate education. But my courses never went into how to actually implement value-based healthcare delivery models, which is part of what made the VBHD course so valuable. Throughout the three day
s of the course, we discussed real cases of delivery organizations that have restructured their care models to provide higher value to patients, getting to understand the decisions made, challenges faced, and lessons learned. While I in no way came away from the course believing transformation to value-based care delivery is easy, I’ve at least now seen that it is possible.

Looking ahead to how I will be able to apply what I learned in my career, I feel inspired as an administrator to work with clinicians to look for opportunities to improve value for our patients, even if in small ways. While on the one hand the fact that we have so far to go to truly be a value-based delivery organization can be discouraging, on the other hand it means there is so much opportunity for improvement! I’m excited to return to my team and approach my work through a new lens, and to begin focusing more on costs and outcomes in my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment