Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Empowering Change


Riley Orrell, MHA
Administrative Fellow at MGH
PGY 1

01/30/2020


MGH Administrative Fellows, Lizzy Carpenter, Riley Orrell, MHA
and Harman Kaur, MHA following the Value-Based Healthcare
Delivery course. 
The Value-Based Healthcare Delivery course empowered the next generation of healthcare leaders to challenge the status quo and radically change healthcare delivery, outcome measurement, and reimbursement. Prior to the course, I understood how transitioning to value-based care would reduce costs and create appropriate provider incentives, however, the course increased my understanding of how the value framework would benefit patients as well. This created a lasting impact and desire to help lead the transition to value. Perhaps most convincing of the patient benefit was the development of ICHOM standard sets that measure functional outcomes rather than compliance with standards or processes. I look forward to using these standards to measure outcomes both during my fellowship and in the rest of my career. Implementing these measures for one patient population will lead to improvements that increase value and gradually lead to system-wide adoption. 

The course also encouraged me to discuss VBHC with colleagues and financial leaders within my institution and at the system level to understand Partners’ value strategy and how I can be involved. Whether I create a new Value-Based Director role post fellowship or accurately measure costs and outcomes using TDABC and ICHOM measures for a single condition for which I am responsible, I want my career to push the value framework to improve patient care. This transition will be extremely challenging, especially for a successful system with no burning platform for change. Therefore, it is essential that my administrative and medical colleagues who have taken this course band together to form teams passionate about value and willing to put in the hard work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment