Thursday, March 18, 2021

Feedback: Beyond "nice."

Jie Jane Chen, M.D. 
Resident in Internal Medicine
Brigham and Women's Hospital 
PGY 1

11/13/2020

Jie Jane Chen, M.D. 
During the session on "Newer Conceptualizations of Feedback in Medical Education" in the COE Clinical Teaching Skills course, Dr. Subha Ramani asked us to reflect on feedback that we have received as learners that we have either readily accepted or rejected. I volunteered that I have been told that I am “nice” and have received feedback on my personality, which can be challenging for how exactly to translate this feedback into continuing or changing my approach to patient care. This opened several one-on-one thought-provoking conversations in the Zoom chat with other women in the session about experiences that they also have had with receiving personality-based feedback and ongoing research describing and developing ways to decrease gender-based microaggressions.

 I enjoyed having a space in this course to dialogue about effective and less effective feedback, including considerations of both content and delivery along with the impact of our implicit biases in the feedback process. One idea from this course that I will carry forward with me in the bidirectional feedback process with team members and medical students is to model a growth mindset as a teacher when giving and receiving feedback. I hope to be a teacher that continually strives to improve how I care for patients and engage with learners, and to inspire this interest in learners as well. This course has impacted my approach and interest in providing greater feedback opportunities for learners and strengthened my commitment to give concrete examples of specific areas and actions for growth for my learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment