Monday, March 15, 2021

Developing the Next Generation of Clinician Educators

Ryan Chung, M.D. 
Fellow in Abdominal Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital 
PGY 6

10/30/2020

Ryan Chung, M.D. 
The COE clinical teaching skills course was a fantastic one-day course that opened my eyes to the cognitive science of adult learning. This course allowed me to interact with like-minded house staff across the Partners enterprise. We bonded over our interest in becoming better clinical educators and learners, as well as our shared concerns related to balancing work and teaching responsibilities, keeping learners engaged, and providing impactful feedback.

 The didactic portions of the course were packed with meaningful concepts that have already impacted the way I approach my own learning from understanding the detriments of multitasking (cognitive overload) and embracing a learning goal orientation. Furthermore, our discussions and practical 5-minute teaching session provided a forum for sharing tips that I will utilize in my daily practice to become a stronger clinician educator. A course like this is a prime example of how medical education continues to evolve and emphasize the importance of teaching excellence in peer, educator-learner, and doctor-patient interactions. I would highly recommend this course to all medical trainees!


No comments:

Post a Comment