Thursday, March 18, 2021

An Evidence-Based Course in Clinical Teaching.

Laura Z. Hyde, MD, MPH
Fellow in Surgical Critical Care
Brigham and Women's Hospital 
PGY 6

11/13/2020

Laura Hyde, M.D., M.P.H. 
As a surgical critical care fellow, I work with interdisciplinary teams of learners at different stages in their careers. Given the rapid turnover on our teams and the clinical complexity of the modern tertiary care intensive care unit, it is easy to focus only on patient care. While patient care is correctly the center of everything we do, teaching is also an essential part of our work and I signed up for this course to help me re-center teaching in my work flow.

The CTS course gave me an opportunity to reflect on some of the challenges of teaching in this environment and equipped me with additional tools and strategies. The content was thoughtful and focused, and full of valuable insight into how we learn, all clearly supported by data. We were introduced to a better model for giving feedback and the “sandwich method” was carefully debunked.  I was grateful for this opportunity and would happily sign up for a sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment