Monday, March 15, 2021

Deconstructing the Challenge of Clinical Teaching

Malak Al-Hadlaq, BDS 
Resident in Oral Medicine
Brigham and Women's Hospital/Dana Farber Cancer Institute
PGY 2

10/26/2020

Malak Al-Hadlaq, M.D. 
As a resident trainee with a future career objective of becoming an educator in my field, the COE clinical teaching skills course has led me one step closer towards achieving that goal. Clinical teaching and acquiring its requisite skills are faced with many challenges. This course allowed me to identify those obstacles, analyze different involved aspects, and postulate feasible solutions. Furthermore, it has provided me with a clearer perspective on the critically important learning element of feedback. Constructive criticism is an art and science which has the ability to elevate both learners and teachers. Throughout the course, I practiced various tools for feedback which I will be applying in future teaching interactions.

During residency, we trainees are given some responsibility of teaching our fellow junior residents and students. Taking the knowledge I’ve gained through the COE CTS course, I will be utilizing different techniques conducive to providing a positive learning experience. Also, I am able to use key concepts discussed in the course for my own learning journey. “Learning how to learn” is a potent tool in succeeding to meet educational goals. In my opinion, students at all levels should be equipped with those tools. Hopefully, in my future role as a teacher and clinical instructor in an educational institution, I will try to integrate this into my teaching.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment