Monday, April 5, 2021

Learning for Residency and Beyond!

Allisa Alpert, DO 
Resident in Internal Medicine
North Shore Medical Center 
PGY 3

02/26/2021
 
Allisa Alpert, DO
Probably one of the most surprising things about my experience with the clinical skills teaching course is that the learning began long before the class had begun. The questions in the application started me thinking months in advance about the challenges, successes and failures I have experienced as a learner and a teacher throughout my residency career. These reflections even made their way into my interviews for post-residency hospitalist positions. I began to realize just how vital teaching is to my identity as a physician and I started to explore the ways in which I could incorporate teaching into my future career. As an attending I will have the opportunity to precept medical students and I hope to also help introduce formal didactics such as journal club to my hospitalist group. 

One of the most important aspects of medicine is life-long learning, and participation in courses such as this one not only deliver teaching of valuable concepts which residents can use every day, but also fosters engagement in the life-long learning culture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment