Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Residents as Teachers!

Hawra Al Lawati
Internal Medicine, 
PGY2

Residents take on the educator role from a very early stage by virtue of taking care of and teaching patients and being around students. Therefore, it’s important to incorporate formal opportunities during residency training to learn how to carry out this role effectively.
Attending this course allowed me to reflect on my past experiences as both a learner and a junior educator.  I learned more about the key concepts and evidence behind effective adult learning. It was great to engage with trainees from various levels of training and department and learn from their unique experiences/expertise.  I was able to apply some of the things I learned from our sessions including giving the chalk talk and delivering feedback.

A list of qualities that make a good teacher that was
populated by the course participants
The course was a wonderful opportunity to gain tools on how to deliberately contribute to creating a culture of learning and growth in healthcare. Shortly after attending this I started an inpatient rotation where I was leading a team with two interns and two medical students.

No comments:

Post a Comment