Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Learning how to be a more effective clinical educator


Meabh O’Hare
Neurology resident at MGH/BWH
PGY: 4

The Clinical Teaching Skills (CTS) course was a fantastic introduction to the world of evidence-based clinical education that will continue to inform my approach to teaching and feedback for years to come. I have always been interested in improving my skills as a clinician-educator, especially now that I have taken on the role of senior resident,

Neurology residents practice eliciting deep tendon
reflexes on each other

but never really knew how to go about this. There are certain clinician educators that I have always looked up to and attempted to emulate, but they always made effective teaching look so effortless that I assumed it came very naturally to them.  

What I really took away from the CTS course was the knowledge that there is a huge foundation of research into what makes a good teacher, and more importantly that it is possible to self-improve as a teacher by careful planning, self-analysis, and getting good quality feedback from students. It seems very obvious now, but prior to this course I hadn’t really considered how much thought and preparation go into planning effective clinical teaching sessions, even seemingly casual bedside encounters. During the course, we had the opportunity to deliver a brief 5-minute pre-prepared “micro-teaching” session, and the feedback I received from my peers, as well as myself (by reviewing a video of the session) was invaluable.  

I now know that preparation ahead of time is key for me personally in order to deliver effective teaching moments, and that taking an iterative approach will lead to improvement over time. In addition, I intend to be much more thoughtful and prepared in future with regard to both giving and eliciting feedback from students, as I learned this is only likely to be a useful endeavor if approached in a structured manner with advance notice given to students.

No comments:

Post a Comment