Thursday, July 15, 2021

A Valuable Foundation.

Kelly Marie Scheuring, M.D. 
Resident in Internal Medicine and Primary Care
Brigham and Women's Hospital/Atrius Health 
PGY 2

05/26/2021

Kelly M. Schuering, MD
Participating in the Value-Based Health Care Delivery Course helped me to further develop the skillset I will continue using to advocate for higher value care for the medically complex and socially vulnerable in society. Despite trials of many unique approaches within complex care over the past decade, providing consistent value remains a major challenge. Through case studies of successful health care institutions, the course expanded my understanding of integrated practice units, outcomes measurement, time-driven activity-based costing, culture change, and expanding a care network, all of which are critical tools to increase value. The course also introduced me to like-minded trainees across MGB that I hope to continue to work with in the future, not to mention exposure to world-class leaders in business!

Though my focus has been primarily clinical to date, I know my desire to improve the flawed systems that I see failing patients will inevitably lead to administrative roles in the future. This course has helped prepare me to be a more effective agent in change in building a more efficient, but equitable health care system throughout my medical career as a primary care provider.  Though it is just the beginning, this course laid a strong foundation upon which I can hope to build a career and a system that warrants it’s own case in the future! Thanks so much for such a transformative experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment