Thursday, November 7, 2019

Learning with and from other specialties and other medical professions with COE


Dana Larsen
Resident in Internal Medicine at MGH
PGY-3

I was honored to spend the day on the “other side of town” learning from and with those interested in medical education at the COE Clinical Teaching Skills workshop. The day was filled with interactive activities that were focused not only on learning through the didactic aspect of evidence-based teaching constructs,

Women from MGH department of medicine and sub-specialties,
happy at the end of their COE learning day!
but also pragmatically how learners from other specialties and areas within medicine are taught.  Having participated in many of the opportunities for improving teaching skills within my institution’s medicine department, I was fascinated to learn from others in class who were interested in pursuing similar careers in medical education.  I was especially struck by those in fellowship who had varied practices and teaching on med ed at their prior institutions.  The interactions and relationships I formed enabled me to gain a wider breadth of areas for future research and allowed me to build relationships that I hope will bolster continued growth through a network of like-minded physicians. My hope when I move to fellowship is to continue to pursue research in medical education.  Discussing the fellow experience from those with similar aspirations, has already helped to prepare me for fellowship and I hope will continue to shape my future research career in this field.

No comments:

Post a Comment