Monday, November 11, 2019

Attending the 2019 Connected Health Conference


Madhvi Deol
Resident in Diagnostic Radiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital
PGY3

I was pleased to receive a grant to attend the Connected Health Conference for the first time. The Connected Health Conference brought together people from various backgrounds including medicine, psychology, business, and engineering. It was eye-opening to see how other industries have and continue to shape the face of healthcare. I attended several lectures that discussed the role of technology in medicine. Technology has the potential to serve a vital role in preventative healthcare. Currently, the majority of healthcare spending goes towards medical treatment.



2019 Connected Health Conference
Yet, in theory, disease prevention could not only reduce healthcare spending, but could also
improve quality of life.

Health care applications could assist patients with a variety of issues from anxiety to medication compliance.  Despite misconceptions, technology is also well received by the aging population and could be used to provide a sense of purpose and reduce depression. I was impressive by the level of research on behavior and the psychology of habit formation that goes into designing healthcare applications. In addition to the lectures, I attended a mentorship session for women in the healthcare technology sector. We discussed important skills for success including personal branding and negotiation. I also made contacts with several women in consulting, medical education, and business. I also met several physicians who worked in both clinical medicine and business/technology.
Applying virtual reality to patient care
and medical education

Physicians, as direct providers of healthcare, have valuable insight and could play a key role in healthcare technology.   I met engineers and consultants who were eager to hear my perspective on various healthcare issues. Through this meeting, I learned about unique career options for physicians. I hope to have a career that bridges clinical medicine and innovation.This conference certainly met my expectations. I would encourage other residents/fellows to attend if you have  interest in the interface between technology and medicine. Regardless of the conference, I would advise you to take advantage of all mentorship and networking sessions. I gained interesting perspectives and valuable career advice from the people that I met. You never know where your career may lead you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment